Yeah, yeah Valentine’s Day is coming. Normally, I would take this time to tell you to love yourself, but who am I kidding, I preach that to my Bs on the reg. So let’s get real, shall we?
Valentine’s Day does weird things to people. Many feel overwhelmed by their circumstances. It forces a lot of us to focus on what we lack. However, what we fail to realize is that this day is another opportunity for us to gain clarity in our lives. February 14th, just like any other day, is another chance you’ve been granted to do your thing.
Whether you like it or not, you’re in a long-term relationship and it’s with yourself.
I’ve had my fair share of cutesy VDay festivities and I’ve had my fair share of lonely ones. No matter the circumstance, it’s my goal every year to use this as a day of inner reflection to determine what’s holding me back and what’s helping me grow. Everyone puts so much pressure and effort into Valentine’s Day that it became a natural reminder for me to reflect on my own relationship with myself. Valentine’s Day is my personal pulse check. Are you doing ok? Like, really ok? You’re happy? You’re still moving forward? Still creating? Still learning? Still trying? Still being the best version of you that you can be? If YES: Great, you shall pass. If NO: Hold up! What internal factors are holding you back? What external factors are holding you back? How can we clear the clutter?
Oops, I guess this kind of turned into a post about loving yourself. Oh well. It’s important. You wear the pants in your relationship with YOU. Promise me, Bs that you’ll keep looking out for yourselves no matter the day.
You come first. Always.
In honor of you learning to love yourself more, I challenge you to be a little selfish. Make a plan, in the next few days or weeks, to have a “you” day. Do something that freaks you out or go somewhere you’ve never been. Here are some of my favorite ways to escape:
- Enjoy a staycation. These are my fave. Book a room at a nice hotel in town or in the city over for a night or two. Read, write, watch tv, dance, jump on the bed, take an awesome bath, eat whatever the heck you want and just be. It’s even more exciting when you don’t have to spend a ton, so keep an eye out for deals on sites like Groupon.
- Get outside. Nature is nurturing. Simple as that. Disconnect. Breathe. Take in bits and pieces of this big ol’ world.
- Take yourself to dinner and a movie. Wear what you want, go where you want, eat what you want, see what you want.
- Go to a concert. Going to see live music by myself is something I absolutely love. The energy in a room full of music lovers and a good band fuels my inspiration like no other. Plus, you never know who you could meet!
- Take a class. Learn to cook. Learn a language. Learn a new life skill. Life is too short to not try new things!
No matter what you decide, it’s even more fun when you make your “you” time a regular ritual. I speak from experience when I say it’s an eyeopener and a damn fun adventure.
For those just joining us: B3 Breakthroughs are small challenges I like to share every now and then to make sure you’re pickin’ up what I’m puttin’ down. With every Breakthrough you get closer to being able to Master Your Mind. Master Your Body. Master Your YOU.